Thursday 31 August 2017

Updates from India 61



In this month:
RIP to a good friend.
Our continuing story.
Monsoon.
A new addition to the family.




I start this month with sad news.
My friend and brother Les Batty died this month.
I have been part of his family for many years. I washed and bathed his children when they were so small all three fitted in a tub together. There are now three grandchildren.
His love was his family and bikes. The many trips away camping, fishing and having fun together will be in my memory forever. There were bad times we came through together, he supporting me or the other way around, always brothers.
Les has gone now but he leaves behind in the memories of friends what a crazy wonderful guy he was. All who met him and grew to know him will never forget him.

RIP bro.


Our story Part 3.   The continuing story of how and why we came to India


Why is it that so many will believe in UFO’s more willingly than they can believe in God? For us the answer is quite straight forward, the devils greatest tool is that many don’t believe in him, it, therefore, follows that they can’t believe in God. Instead so many accept the idea of alien life visiting Earth and deny the Lord. Many live to accumulate riches. Jesus said it’ you cannot worship mammon and God.
To the ruthless, the corrupt, the unscrupulous earthly wealth can come, but in the end, where does it get them. Something we have heard in India ‘What good is money if not to do good’? God gives us free will, to choose, His embrace or the path of mammon and damnation.
As an ex-addict I know the exhilaration of drugs when you first start using, it feels wonderful, mind opening, then it destroys you because nothing good can ever come from evil, it’s the same for a life worshiping wealth and power as your god. Money should be (and for many is) a tool for good, great good can be done with it in God’s name. It’s when money for its own sake becomes your god that you are lost.
Kris and I both know now a life that is so enriching that NO amount of money could change our path, it would just add to the good we could do here in India.
We were still attending Emmanuel church Durham and visiting another Church in Darlington occasionally, where we also made some good friends. In both churches, we found the same devotion to following God’s word.
It had been seven years since I accepted the Lord in the USA, and I was ready to give my life to Jesus as my savior without doubts or reservations.
I was baptized in water by full immersion as Jesus tells us.
“Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned”.
Our Senior Pastor was surprised that it had to be in a river, I just felt it had to be, so it was in the river Wear at Durham, at the same time my name was changed by deed poll to Christopher my middle name, I kept my first name as my middle name but shortened it to honour my father whose name it had been, the person I had been was gone, and I had been Reborn.

Kris. Chris dreamt about the river he was to be baptized in and even drew me a map of where the river had a bend and the exact location of where he was to be baptized. We went to Finchale Abbey which is a ruin next to the actual river Chris was to be baptized in and across from the Abbey on the other side of the river was a small sandy area. This was exactly the same place Chris had dreamt of and described to me and it was on that very spot in the river that he was baptized by full immersion. We had no idea where the Church had chosen except it was near Finchale Abbey until the day of Baptism and although I knew the area reasonably well Chris had not been there before, is that just another coincidence, I don’t think so. Neither does Chris.
Kris was there singing and cheering as I went in. Some non-Christian friends and some of my church were also there and I was one of three that came to the Lord that day.
Here now in India, I still have a small box filled with sand and leaves from the riverside that friends gave me that day….and an odd memory of a guy in a canoe watching the service. The next day we returned to where I had been baptized just to sit and contemplate the moment and pray. As we were sitting on the small sandy patch looking into the river with the rocks and swirling water a couple walked past “Come to do it again?” they asked. It seems they had watched the whole thing from the opposite bank the day before.                                                                                                                                    
We testified to our faith in Christ and they went on their way wishing us both well. I wonder, did we plant a seed that day

Some weeks later.
Kris: It had been a long day I was a little worried about Chris as he had asked me to make him an appointment at the doctors. Chris would not tell me what for and said he did not need me to go with him which was unusual. I tried broaching the subject but he either ignored it or changed subject, he was distracted is all I could say. Yes, I was concerned that there was something seriously wrong with him that he was shielding me from.
We had spent the evening after Chris came in from work eating a lovely Indian meal I can’t remember what now just that it was nice to sit at the table together and it tasted good.
We then watched a movie, again I cannot recall what we watched, I was concerned about Chris but did not want to nag him. By the time we had eaten and watched the movie it was very late, I was sitting on the sofa in old clothes when Chris said he had something he wanted to say to me.
Chris sat on the floor in front of me and took my hands in his, which he had done many times before. I was really nervous what could be wrong with him.
Chris then asked if I would do him the very great honor of consenting to become his wife. Chris held out a beautiful 3 stone diamond engagement ring in a wooden box which he presented to me, I was shocked, dumbstruck. I was not expecting a proposal. My reply in a very squeaky voice was “Yes Oh Yes”, he made me the happiest woman alive.
I was then 51 years of age and had totally given up on the idea of marriage. I have always said and still believe I would rather be single than be married to the wrong man. I do still hear my mother’s voice saying to me “I will be dead before you get married” my reply to her was always the same I would not get married just to keep others happy. I do regret that she had died before seeing me married but I believe she is with the Lord and could see my happiness anyway.
The engagement ring was fabulous it fitted perfectly, Chris had felt my fingers to get the measurement and being an engineer he knew how to do that easily. He chose the ring himself and everyone including myself commented on what good taste he has. The 3 diamonds represent our love for each other, our complete honesty with each other and our oneness with the Lord.
I only have small fingers so the saleslady did not think Chris had got the right size and told him he could return it for the correct size if it was too small. It was a perfect fit, and coincidentally she sold us our wedding rings and remembered the small engagement ring Chris had bought. I remember her telling him when he asked for her opinion she replied: “what is not to like”!
Next day I was at University and my lecturer in Sculpture noticed the diamonds shining in the subdued lighting of the sculpture studio and asked to put the lights on for a better look. Her comments were a real nice bit of bling, and privately she commented that they were beautiful diamonds and to take good care of them.
My family and friends whilst shocked that I was getting married at my age but were very happy for us both. 
I (Kris) was even warned by some friends that Chris may just be interested in me because of my disability and need someone to look after me; I knew Chris was not this kind of person.
Chris. When we first met this was something Kris wanted to make very clear to me, she did not want me to be a carer, and she wanted to be treated as ‘normal’ not disabled.
Chris.
I have been lucky enough to have spent some of my life with people who have special needs, both mentally and physically and have learned that if you offer help and are refused then accept that refusal in good grace, so Kris on crutches didn’t bother me, I saw her as Kris no more, no less and treated her as such.

We were married for the second time at Emmanuel Church Durham. It over ran by two hours, everyone who came really enjoyed themselves and blessed our marriage.
Kris. The day of our wedding arrived and to say I was excited, nervous and still in shock that I was getting married would be an understatement. Geraldine had kindly offered to come to the house and do my hair, and my friend Theresa from the university came to help me dress. Chris was still at home getting ready and my brother Peter arrived from Newcastle to drive us to church in his Jaguar. Peter was chauffeur and he also was giving me away as my father had died several years ago. Peter was nervous as he took Chris to the church then came back for me. We decided to do a traditional wedding in that our vows were traditional, we had a wedding cake and reception but it was going to be in our style and personality. Chris left early for the church carrying some sticks and a bag which he wouldn’t tell me what was in it or what it was for, to be honest, I just let him get on with his thing as I had a lot to do.
Unknown to me at the time Chris had put a sticker on the bedroom door saying “sex slave” and had hung a whip over the curtain pole in the bedroom. Apparently, both Geraldine and Theresa had seen them but bless them they did not comment to me at the time, I found them on my return from honeymoon, but that’s Chris’s sense of humour for you. Geraldine did a lovely job with my hair and then went home to get ready herself; Theresa dressed at my house and traveled in the front with Peter as we set off for Church. We dropped her at the side of the church building so we could arrive in style. As I arrived Geraldine, Janet and Katy Lin were there to make sure my wedding dress and veil were all just right. I had shocked them all because they did not think I was going to be wearing a traditional Ivory wedding gown with a train. I think I shocked a lot of people, one comment later on in the day was did I have my jeans on underneath, No I didn’t and I was wearing wedding shoes, not trainers, I knew because of my disability this would be hard for me but I wanted it all to be just right and I also decided to walk without a stick or crutches. At this point, Chris still thought I was going to be wearing a dark purple wedding gown without a train, as this was an ongoing tease between us.
The reason being Chris had told me our caterers were being investigated by environmental health for rat droppings in their mince. I had been shocked at the caterers and butcher had excellent reputations and I knew their premises were pristine clean. I believed him initially as he said the information had come from a reputable person in our church. When I realised he was winding me up some days later I decided to get my own back with a purple dress, which he accepted as it’s my favourite colour, but I knew he would have preferred me to wear a more traditional gown in Ivory. We often tease each other it's part of who we are as a couple, friends who can have a joke and laugh about things. The beauty of my joke was that I showed him two sample swatches of dark purple wedding gown fabric, kindly provided by my wedding gown shop that was in on the joke. I couldn’t wait to see his face when he knew I’d got him.
As we had driven along the road to the church I noticed several signs stating “this way to the man sacrifice” Peter did not comment, he just grinned. Inside were further signs which Katy Lin tried to shield me from in case I got upset, I just thought it was funny. Anne the registrar came out to see if I was ok and told me Chris was nervous but looking handsome and she said he scrubbed up well, hee hee.
We entered the church, not to the traditional here comes the bride but to one of my favourite childhood hymns as I didn’t want people staring at me whilst I walked down the aisle. Peter was great and allowed me to walk at my own pace supported by him.
Chris
Since that time we have witnessed a truly miraculous healing, she has thrown away her crutches, her spine has stopped degenerating and has straightened.  In fact she has gained one and one half inches in height and she now walks without even a stick to aid her.
God does perform miracles; remember that razor, spontaneous cure of an incurable disease with a series of X rays at several different hospitals to prove it was real and that the medical profession can’t explain or the miracle that so many prayed for? It may be possible for one hospital to make mistakes on X rays but Kris had X rays taken at 4 different hospitals and they all can’t be wrong, I believe God was at work, preparing His tool for the work He had for us...
Christine and I had talked and decided to go to India for the honeymoon; I had wanted to visit for years so this was my chance. Back in the 1970’s, I had dreamed of the hippie trail, across land to India, but the changing politics put a stop to the hundreds that had traveled that route.
We just about had enough money to go and be able to enjoy ourselves as a honeymooning couple should. We looked at the brochures, made plans, for me it was dreams come true. Kris also loved the idea, being an artist/illustrator she was really looking forward to seeing all the different colours and the Indian style of painting which she was hoping to learn about. We both also talked about the food, all the different flavours, we both really enjoy Indian cooking and were looking forward to learning some new recipes and tasting ‘real’ Indian food. Our plans progressed, looking at flights, searching for where in India we would like to visit.
A few weeks later Kris and I both felt we had to talk to the other; neither of us wanted to but felt we had to. We were in Church at the time when we both admitted we had to tell each other something important Independently we had both been told not to go to India but to go to Albania by God. ‘Told by God’ how do I explain that, apply that razor, did we both have the same delusion, the same compulsive need to change plans, just scrap the dreams, cancel the arrangements on a whim? Or did we both get a message independently from God? It’s a deep compulsion, almost a sixth sense not to go to India so hard to explain, it’s that feeling you get if you know you are doing wrong, stealing that sweet as a child, you got away with it so why do you feel that inner voice? Kris really didn’t want to tell me as she was sure I would be upset because she knew how much I was looking forward to India. I didn’t want to tell Kris either for much the same reason but in a stilted and then incredulous conversation, we both told the other what we believed God had said, one confirmed the other, there was no doubt. One message, to both of us!
WE BOTH knew before the other spoke. I believe that by telling both of us God had made quite certain that we would follow his word and that both of us would be fully aware of Gods will at work in our lives, conformation is important in anything but in this especially for me, it was vital. I hadn’t been a Christian as long as Kris and this dramatic a change in plans based on what is a ‘feeling’ or perhaps better described as a ‘compulsion’ that you just cannot ignore was very new to me.
We both believe that God doesn’t determine your path in this life. He gives you options and opportunities, the choice to follow His will or not is yours.
So, we were going to Albania. In fact, Kris had been going to go to Albania with the church many years before but had felt strongly that it was not the time, I will let Kris explain.
Church had been involved with charity collections of much needed basic essentials such as toothpaste, toothbrushes, soap, pens, paper etc. and put the items in shoe boxes for a group of people to take out by lorry to those in need along with clothing. I had a couple of years after the initial trips decided to join one of the groups and go out as a volunteer. However, I felt strongly God telling me my motives were wrong and that it was not the right time, but that it would be special when I did go.
Little did I know that I would go years later and on my honeymoon, I am so pleased I stuck to my principles and listened to God and not friends who urged me to go and delayed that trip.
We prayed and changed our plans. Oh… if only it had been that easy, but practicalities aside that’s the crux of it.
We were going to Albania. To be continued.

The monsoon.
Without the monsoon season, all life in Rajasthan would die. Rajasthan is a desert state. Water is life.
It fills the lakes and underground aquifers. In this short three months, all the water needed has to be collected from the rains to last for another year.
A poor monsoon means wells going dry in late summer, crops fail, animals and people die.
This year has been a good monsoon here. The steady rain that soaks the ground. Some huge monsoon storms as well. I know how hard it is to visualize the amount of water that falls in so short a time. Until we came here we had no real idea.
The sun is shining, a gentle breeze stirs the trees but the humidity is rising rapidly. You sweat but it won’t evaporate leaving you perpetually sticky. 
There’s a storm coming.
Animals and birds sense it and find cover, the sky darkens, and the wind rises until its bending the trees. Black clouds cover the sky. Then thunder so loud it shakes the glass in the windows, multiple lightning flashes across the sky arcing down to hit trees, tall hilltops or buildings. Time to get under cover.
Then the rain comes. Rain doesn’t describe the huge amount of water that falls. Try to imagine you are in the shower, now times by ten. It is sometimes so heavy that even walking and even breathing in it seems impossible. Flooding begins almost immediately; the water just cannot run off quickly enough. Houses flood the ground floors, roads become rivers powerful enough to move cars left parked.
Animals who couldn’t find high ground can drown in minutes.
This can go on for hours! Thankfully these monsoon storms are infrequent, we have three or four every season, but when they come they really hit hard.
In other parts of India this year the monsoon has caused great distress. Literally, thousands have died and many more displaced. Even big cities like Mumbai are suffering under the deluge of rain. The irony is that for thousands of years India lived with the monsoon and managed it far better than we do now. Water had room to run off, the major cities didn’t exist; water storage was common, the rivers were allowed to run freely. All that has changed with the industrial development of this nation. For several years now there has begun a realization among ordinary people that this scale of mismanagement of resources and environment cannot go on. More and more people are questioning why these floods happen so frequently now. Slowly the realization that it is our society that is in the main responsible and it follows that only a change in habits and attitude will help us is correct this.

We pray for those who have been lost or displaced and for the many more that have yet to suffer the repercussions of destroyed homes, farms and crops. May God be with them.
As I write this the rain has begun again, steady heavy rain that is a joy to see. It has been ten days of rain now without a dry day. Good for some, a disaster for others.
Kris; Well monsoon was one of the things I dreaded about coming to India, how would I cope. Yes, it’s very different from rain or storms in the UK, for one thing, the rain is warm except nearing the end of monsoon when it does get colder. Today I was out in the market and it was so humid my t shirt and jeans were just sticking to me very uncomfortable, but typical just before the rain comes. Fortunately, as I didn’t have a coat on I got home just before a really big downpour came, within a very short while the roads were flooding and I went out to call Moti the three legged street dog in. He hates the thunder and lightning and he’s getting old now so can’t cope with getting soaking wet, so he comes to us we towel him off and he sleeps on his bed in our living room until he’s had enough and goes back out onto the street. Do I hate monsoon now I’m in India, No I love it. Chris and I have stood in the rain enjoying the moment, it’s especially good immediately after the summer heat. Yes I have danced in the rain and I go out on my scooter in monsoon, it’s refreshing and liberating. Problems occur trying to dry washing at this time of the year, it takes forever and everything feels damp from the bed sheets to the clothes you wear, but would I give it up… no way, it’s a time to embrace life and the countryside comes alive and is green.



Comments from Kris
Hi everyone this month I’ve decided to give you a flavour of our life here in photos, showing the area we live in and where I do most of my shopping.


English wine shop near home 

Mutton shop in between two
English wine shops 
Local dairy

This is where I pay the electric bill, usually very long queues

Traffic trying to avoid cows sleeping in middle of the road
Local bamboo and wood supplier, saves me having to go
into centre of the city to buy

Chemist next to local hospital


Local co op store prices are
usually good here
The two brothers who run the chemist, nice guys

One of the local banks of which there are many here in India

This is the new wine shop
you can walk around not
like most where you can
only go to counter to buy
These guys run the local
vegetable stall and they're
there in all weather



Rajasthan Hospital

Front view of building work


Building construction at local
 bank view from side 
View inside of A to Z

A to Z store
Proud owners of A to Z store Mr and Mrs Jain

View of local shops in sector 14 our nearest
shopping area



View if market stall where I buy my tomatoes and
potatoes in sector 14


Before coming to India I had a few concerns about what life would be like here and I want to share my observations and concerns I had. Let’s start with how will I cope with insects and wildlife. Well, I still hate creepy crawlies and we have a lot here from spiders, cockroaches, crickets, flies, and mosquitoes to name just a few. The spiders are strange mainly small fast jumping spiders which can give you a nasty bite, ants, crickets are ok but lots of flies at different times of the year which are very annoying.  Mosquitoes remain a huge problem for Chris and I as we have no natural immunity, Chris has had malaria 3 times me once. So we have mosquito repellents in all the rooms, take antimalarial tablets and apply odomos on our skin when we go out especially at this time of year when malaria is a real danger, and we have an electric zapper which is great for killing flies and mosquitoes. This may seem overkill but as Chris nearly died from malaria we take this very seriously. We're lucky we don’t get cockroaches but ants are a big problem at times. Snakes were a big fear for me and rightly so as there are a lot of them around, fortunately, I’ve not had personal encounters with them but they have been in our garden and seen nearby. Treat them with respect from a distance and if need to we’ll call the snake catcher who Chris met several years ago and handled the snake, ugh glad I wasn’t there. We get the local squirrels, monkeys, and lizards in our garden and these I can cope with, I give a wide berth to the lizards. In our last house, I found a 3ft lizard behind the sofa and Chris and I managed to get it out quite easily. It would have given a really nasty bite had it gotten the opportunity. We have several geckos living in the house they’re harmless and a pleasure to watch. Then there are the variety of birds who visit our garden such beautiful creatures. In the streets we have cows, water buffalo, a panther comes to the colony every year with her cubs and feeds on the puppies and whatever else she can find, then there are the street dogs to name just a few. Of course, we have our own chickens and the dogs.

Yes,

I did say dogs, we now have 2. Last week I noticed a puppy between 3 and 4 months old sitting outside our gate as I went to visit a neighbour, I’d noticed it around the area for a few weeks and Chris and I had wondered if it needed rescuing but were unsure whether to take on the responsibility of another dog. Ah well it had other ideas, when I returned home it was no longer there so I just came up the drive to the front door and found it sitting there. It wanted fuss and Chris and I fed it, it stayed with us overnight but the next day it decided it wanted to go out into the street so we didn’t stop it. Unfortunately one of the older male dogs bit it’s leg and was dragging it roughly around making it yelp badly in distress. Chris rescued it and cleaned its wound, it was limping and it has now decided Chris is her hero and moved in. We decided to name her Chilli as she was so cool sitting at the front door demanding to be loved. Bleu’ and Chilli get along really well they play together and Bleu’ is in mothering mode. Yes it’s a responsibility but it’s good for both of them Bleu’ is not lonely anymore and Chilly is still alive her other 5 siblings have died.



Our newest addition to the family "Chilli"




Chilli being a little shy


Just chilling out, she's growing fast


Bleu' just posing
Bleu' its been a hard day folks


Bleu' and Chilli just having a moment, they get along so well


 Who did this then?


Love the legs, Chris lol.
Well that's all for this month, hope you're all well and enjoyed our blog
God Bless from Chris and Kris in rainy Udaipur



1 comment:

  1. Nice informative blog. Thank you for sharing. For more information please visit us at:
    Top Best Motivational Speakers in Mumbai

    ReplyDelete